Our project publications
On this site, we will make available the results of our exploration of the global flows of political information. The project is in its early stages now. But it can still draw on our earlier work.
Closely related previous publications
The following article is the first to systematically measure media visibility of political bodies – a set of more than 30 international organizations – as an important component of their theoretical and empirical analysis.
- Parizek, Michal, and Matthew D Stephen. 2020. ‘The Increasing Representativeness of International Organizations’ Secretariats: Evidence from the United Nations System, 1997–2015’. International Studies Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.1093/isq/sqaa088. The article identifies key patterns in the staffing of international organizations, as influenced by the bodies’ media visibility.
Our previous research exploring various dimensions of information and communication
The following articles GLOWIN members (co-)authored look into relevant aspects of communication and information in world politics.
- Faude, Benjamin, and Michal Parizek. 2020. ‘Contested Multilateralism as Credible Signaling: How Strategic Inconsistency Can Induce Cooperation among States’. The Review of International Organizations. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11558-020-09398-7. The article focuses on problems in communication and credibility in driving the phenomenon of contested multilateralism.
- Parizek, Michal. 2020. Negotiations in the World Trade Organization: Design and Performance. New York: Routledge, ch. 3. and Parizek, Michal. 2016. ‘Communication and Credibility in Multilateral Negotiations’. Czech Journal of Political Science 23, no. 1: 44–64. https://doi.org/10.5817/PC2016-1-44. Discusses the problems of communication and credibility in multilateral negotiations and tests the argument on the case of WTO Doha negotiations.
- Karlas, Jan, and Michal Parizek. 2020. ‘Supply of Policy Information in the World Trade Organization: Cross-National Compliance with One-Time and Regular Notification Obligations, 1995–2014’. World Trade Review 19, no. 1: 30–50. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1474745618000393 and Karlas, Jan, and Michal Parizek. 2019. ‘The Process Performance of the WTO Trade Policy Review Mechanism: Peer-Reviewing Reconsidered’. Global Policy 10, no. 3: 376–84. https://doi.org/10.1111/1758-5899.12672.
- Tesař, Jakub. 2020. „How Do Social Norms and Expectations About Others Influence Individual Behavior?” Foundations of Science 25 (1): 135–50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10699-019-09582-y. The article explores how agents’ decisions are influenced by information and perception of their counterparts.
- Parizek, Michal. 2017. ‘Control, Soft Information, and the Politics of International Organizations Staffing’. The Review of International Organizations 12, no. 4: 559–83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11558-016-9252-1. The article identifies the need for ‘soft information’ about member states as an important driver of international organizations’ staffing.